WEEK 8: You've Come A Long Way Baby!
You Can Consider Yourself a Tree Hugger!
So you should be at intermediate level now and you are well on your way to making more green changes in the weeks to come. Here are a few more recipes for you to add to your arsenal. These are the last friends you will meet in this series: Aloe and Witch Haze.
Recipe: On the Go Lemony Fresh Sanitizing Handwipes
1/4 cup alcohol (or substitute with one or two drops of tea tree oil)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup aloe juice (optional)
1/2 lemon juiced
Paper Towels cut to size and folded, or reusable flannel/cotton cloth
Sealable ziptop plastic bag or small flat tupperware
Mix all the ingredients and paper towels/cloths and seal in a flat tupperware container or a small jar. Your container should be small enough to be easily portable and stored in a purse, diaper bag, or glove compartment. This is meant for travel cleaning on the go. Paper towels is a convenience but you can buy recycled ones to compensate, using cloth requires you to take care to have a place to toss the used ones (easy to do, just keep a small toss bag in the car or diaper bag)
Recipe: Easy Soothing Baby Wipes
2 cups of witch hazel
1 cup aloe vera juice
Paper towels or reusable cotton/flannel cloths
Find a suitable container to your liking (a big one for the home and a small flat one for on the go). Mix well and use like regular commercial wipes.
Baking Soda and Vinegar Parting Tips:
- To deter ants: Sprinkle baking soda along ant paths outside the home and spray crevices with vinegar.
- To kill weeds in cracks and crevices: Spray with straight vinegar
- To clean tools and pots: Mix baking soda and vinegar into a paste, schmear on your tools and garden pots, rinse clean, and dry thoroughly.
- To keep outdoor cushions fresh: Store in bags sprinkled with baking soda before storing for the season.
- To freshen the dog: Sprinkle baking soda on fur, leave for a few minutes then brush off (best done outside!)
- To remove fleas: Wash dog or cat in a solution of vinegar and water. Don't rinse -- let air dry.
- To freshen pet beds: Sprinkle with baking soda, let sit for an hour or more and vacuum clean.
COOL TIP: Put large bay leaves strategically in your cabinets to deter bugs. I have bay leaf "bits" in open mini preserve containers in the corners of my cabinet labeled Bug-B-Gone.